Re: Re: GL5 project setback

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: GL5 project setback
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:47:38 -0400
Just thinking along the lines of replacing the oil. Since you can drain the
gearbox, but not the diff in a lot of casesas it has no drain plug, has anybody
tried to pump the oil out of the diff using a thin tube and a hand pump. Is
there room to get a tube to the bottom of the diff and would it go there if you
could get it in the filler hole. could better access be got via the breather if
it was taken out? Just trying to find better ways than unbolting the thing.

Although the manual says just to top up the diff, I hate to think the age of
the oil that's in there. Even if you put in GL4 to top it up who knows what the
previous owner put in (if anything) and 20+ year old oil can't be that great
anymore surely.

So anyone ever tried it?

Alan