Re: Bosch Blue Coil & Plug Gap Adjustments

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bosch Blue Coil & Plug Gap Adjustments
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:43:39 -0400
Ron Deaver wrote:

> I would like to replace the stock 20-year old Lucas coil with
> something not prince-blessed.  The Bosch Blue Coil sounds good, but
>
> Hotter coil ads often advise that you can run a larger plug gap when
> upgrading to the hot coil.  I have not found advise on just *how* much
> bigger of a gap to use.

Ron,

The latest Grassroots Motorsports says you can as much as double
the factory spec gap, with a "sport" coil.  It would depend on
the voltages.  They don't explain why, but:

V=IR, so if you're doubling the V (going from a 20KV coil to 40,
say) you can then double the R.  The R comes from the plug's air
gap, and it's linear relationship, apparently.

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.  Lead, n.  A metal, useful as
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.      counterpoise to an argument