Making an ignition box

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Making an ignition box
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 20:55:42 -0500
My 1980 Spitfire is equipped with a lucas electronic ignition.  The one
with the little black box that sits on the firewall.  Mine is happily
corroding itself into nothingness.  Being somewhat a skinflint, I refuse
to pay the big bucks for this thing, and figure surely I can make my
own.  It's only got 4 wires going to it.  Two to the coil, and two to
the distributor pickup.  How complex can it be?!

I've opened the box up, and admired the remarkably empty space.  One
capaciter of unknown capacity, one thingie that looks like a capaciter
but isn't (unless it's a shorted one). and a black do-hicky that I swear
I recognize from something else.  That's just three thingies I need to
come up with to replace the entire guts of the box.

Now I remember seeing a message once where someone said the Lucas unit
was a GM unit, or something like that.  But not being a GM nut, I don't
know their pieces.

So, have any of you folks ever made your own ignition box replacement?
Any good websites or books that would help me figure out how to do this
correctly?  Anyone know the values or identities of the three pieces I
need to replace?