Re: Door handle seals and # of spacers on A-arms

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Subject: Re: Door handle seals and # of spacers on A-arms
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:42:06 -0500
Vic Whitmore wrote:
> When I mentioned that the shims should be applied equally, I was following the
> "book", Repair Operation Manual, by BL Cars Limited, ISBN 1 869826 663.
>
> Adjusting
> 3. Remove or add shims equally on both lower wishbone brackets as necessary.
>Add
> shim(s) to go negative; remove shims to go positive. One shim equals
> approximately 1". Repeat as necessary on opposite wishbone.
>
> If your car originally had an uneven number of shims, was it correct or was it
> an oversight? BL did some funny things and maybe this was one of them.

  The assumption is that the car was "fixed" at the factory to make
up for irregularities of the chassis. This may require an uneven
amount of shims, but whatever the numbers are the car should
be considered correct, at least until chassis work is done again.

  So if you want to adjust the camber to acheive a specific
goal, you add shims equally to each side to affect each side
equally.

  It may mean the TOTAL number of shims on each side are
not equal, but if your car had 3 on one side and 1 on the
other, that was balanced, so adding two to get 5 and
3 still means the sides of the car are matched.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca