RE: Daily drivers

To: "michael.graziano" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>,
Subject: RE: Daily drivers
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 03 Jan 2001 03:48:46 -0600
I am another 'mad' daily Spitfire user.  Main reason for this - there is no way
 I can afford to run more than one car, so if I am to enjoy the pleasures of
 Spitfire ownership, I have to use that as my main car.  Last year Daffy did
 about 16,000 miles - it is a bit of a trek to work and back for me, although
 it is almost all 70-80 mph motorway, so it doesn't take too long.  It is true
 that this does take its toll, but regular maintenance, keep up the servicing
 schedule more or less (which I do all of myself), and problems are minimised.

In a little over 2 years of Spitfire ownership I have missed one days work due
 to not being able to start the car (starter motor died).  There have also been
 two occasions where I have had to use a combination of trains and borrowing my
 wifes car for a few days because Daffy was off the road - first with a big end
 gone, requiring a new re-conditioned engine (not a cheap fault, and only 2
 months after I got the car), then with the rear drive-line and suspension
 damaged after a UJ from the diff to the half-shaft disintegrated (my fault, I
 didn't put it in properly when replacing it a few days early).  My wife's car
 ('88 Citroen BX) has probably suffered a similar amount of off-the-road time,
 so Spitfire ownership is no more risky than running an old-ish 'modern' car.

If you have faith in your machine, in your mechanical abilities, and you take
 good care of your car, a Spitfire can make a fine daily driver, and you will
 actually look forward to your commuting time, rather than seeing it as a
 chore.  One word on MGs - while I appreciate the gentle rivalry between
 Triumph and MG, I have to admit that the MG BGT I had before Daffy took a lot
 less regular tinkering than Daffy does (and never needed a new engine...).
 But that may just be because I knew less about classics back then - I suspect
 much of my tinkering is self-inflicted because I enjoy it, rather than because
 it is essential!

Richard and Daffy (Driving daily through the winter weather and loving every
 second!)