Re: RE: Daily drivers

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: Re: RE: Daily drivers
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 9:36:28 -0700
> I am another 'mad' daily Spitfire user.  Main reason for this - there is no
>way
>  I can afford to run more than one car, so if I am to enjoy the pleasures of
>  Spitfire ownership, I have to use that as my main car.

I can appreciate this. It's my reason too! Though, if I could afford a second
car, it would be a late model (read-after Ford came into the picture) Jag XJS
convertible. Around here, they go for what a new Nissan or Toyota goes for.

Last year Daffy did
>  about 16,000 miles - it is a bit of a trek to work and back for me, although
>  it is almost all 70-80 mph motorway, so it doesn't take too long.  It is true
>  that this does take its toll, but regular maintenance, keep up the servicing
>  schedule more or less (which I do all of myself), and problems are minimised.

Bravo, Richard!

> In a little over 2 years of Spitfire ownership I have missed one days work due
>  to not being able to start the car (starter motor died)... My wife's car
>  ('88 Citroen BX) has probably suffered a similar amount of off-the-road time,
>  so Spitfire ownership is no more risky than running an old-ish 'modern' car.

Absolutely! And the price for parts for some of these newer 'modern' cars are
really out there! I could do repairs on my spit myself-but the Nissan?
Fuggetabout!
And neither has had anything wrong that could be fixed at home! My ex was
strongly opposed to my getting the Spitfire-he wanted me to get a "reliable"
used Nissan or Toyota. So, it always gives me a bit of glee to have to bring
Nigel to his rescue!

> If you have faith in your machine, in your mechanical abilities, and you take
>  good care of your car, a Spitfire can make a fine daily driver, and you will
>  actually look forward to your commuting time, rather than seeing it as a
>  chore.

For me, even sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the 405-it's not as bad in
the Spitfire!

>One word on MGs - while I appreciate the gentle rivalry between
>  Triumph and MG, I have to admit that the MG BGT I had before Daffy took a lot
>  less regular tinkering than Daffy does (and never needed a new engine...).
>  But that may just be because I knew less about classics back then - I suspect
>  much of my tinkering is self-inflicted because I enjoy it, rather than
>because
>  it is essential!

I have a friend here who has 3 cars. All MGs! He's always tinkering with them,
but he goes all over the state-and always makes it back. Not bad considering
he's driving cars that are between 30 and 40 years old!

> Richard and Daffy (Driving daily through the winter weather and loving every
>  second!)

Laura G. and Nigel-enjoying 80o "winter" weather! (And longing for cooler
weather!)

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!