Re:In defense of Italian cars[Was Spit carb part & an unrelated

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: Re:In defense of Italian cars[Was Spit carb part & an unrelated
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 8:49:43 -0700
> You made a Giant leap in class and power when you went from the Fiat to the
>Model A!  :)
>
> Joe

What is all the ill will people have towards Fiats? Fiats are to Italians (and
other Europeans) what Chevys and Fords once were to us Yanks-good
transportation, easy to repair (back when repairing meant something more than
just changing a part) that came in cheap entry level models up to more luxe
models.

Italians (and most Euros) don't change cars every two years but hang on to
them-pass them down even. For Fiats to last as long as I've seen them last,
they can't possibly be as poorly built and engineered as the jokes go! I think
the difference is the difference in the mentality of the general population and
that in Italy you can still find mechanics who can actually take a piece off
the old Mini in the back and modify it himself to fit your Spitfire-these guys
are *real* mechanics-they're artists.

Which brings us to all the disparaging remarks people make about not only
Italian cars, but French cars-and British cars (which we're all familiar with
and deal with on almost a daily basis...)When I was at the Monterey Historics
this past August, there was a place in the paddock filled with Formula One race
cars of the late 70s into 80s-cars raced by guys like Schecter and Ragazzoni et
al-and these cars were either French or Italian or English built! (Not to
mention all the gorgeous cigar shaped racers of the generation previous-and the
ones I saw racing were primarily British built!)

The only car I've had that was tougher and easier to repair than my Fiat 124
coupe was my Renault 4!

Laura G.