Re: Spitfire 1500 tools

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Eric Kieboom" <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 tools
From: "Laura G." <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:11:41 -0800
> At 12:04 23-2-2001 -0800, Laura G. wrote:
>
> >A jack? Why? I have a lovely original-doesn't work, so it only goes to
> >shows. AAA changes my tire if it's flat.
>
> Oh no. I make it a matter of pride to change my own wheels.

I used to, until I had to change three flats in two days on my Nissan
Sentra. I'd only had the car for a month-but the tires they put on a leased
car at the dealer...after that, I bought all new tires and vowed!

> >> a bottle of 20W50,
> >
> >Only one? I always carry two. Not that I have any leaks that big, but so
> >that I "think" I have one and it turns out I don't.
>
> Just the one - which I've never needed. Perhaps I'll throw in a bottle of
> coolant, too. Which I won't ever need, either.

I've never needed the second bottle. But, once when I used to carry only the
one bottle, I was in Marina De Rey about 10pm and my oil light came on. The
only bottle I had was pretty much empty. I had to go from gas station to gas
station looking for someone who had 20w50! The next day when I went to Daves
for a valve adjustment, he knew! Since then, I carry 2 bottles. And when one
is gone, I get another one!

Only twice have I neede the coolant-once, coming up that pass outside
Camarillo from Ventura on a very hot July day-there was a brush fire near
the top, so half of the 101 was closed off to accomadate the Fire engines.
We were all coming back from the Ventura British car show-so when I was
almost to the top, I pulled over to let the engine cool abit. There was a
GT6 and an MBG both over heating, and I offered my bottle to them. The
second time, was on the way back from Buttonwillow last May-my friend Bob
had the water pump on his TR4 spring a leak-yeah, that was a fun ride, up
the Grapevine! The TR4 spit coolant all over my Spitfire!

> >>a fire extinguisher
> >
> >And don't forget-doesn't do much good in the boot-keep it in the cockpit
and
> >easily accessible!
>
> Don't worry, it's between the floor beam and the passenger seat.
>
> >I have found those plastic ties invaluable. Electrical tape.
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention: I also carry tie-raps and electrical tape. And
> spare light bulbs (mandatory), spare points and an assortment of screws,
> washers, nuts and bolts rolling around on the shelves under the dashboard.

Mine go into the "Hardware Store"-that is, the ashtray! (It holds A LOT of
screws and bolts and stuff!)

> >Rubber gloves.
>
> Mine are pigskin leather.

Elegant!!!

>And I carry a dayglo orange roadworker's vest.

Good idea!!!

Aren't European cars required to carry the triangle? When I lived in Italy,
each car had an "Emergency Kit" with a triangle...

Laura G.
Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!