Re: Spitfire 1500 tools

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 tools
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:59:05 +0000
In article <3.0.1.32.20010223225918.00a52100@pop.xs4all.nl>, Eric
Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl> writes

>At 13:16 23-2-2001 -0800, Laura G. wrote:
>
>>BTW-I keep hearing about the "original tool kit"-my first Spitfire I bought
>>from the original owner, and though there was a jack and an extra manifold
>>in the trunk, I've never seen the original tool kit!
>>
>>Anyone have any pictures?
>
>No pictures, but there are photos and some info on pages 35, 52 and 103 of
>"Triumph Spitfire & GT6 - a Guide to Originality".

It sounds as though I need to get my hands on a copy of this - I see the
TSSC offers them for #23.95.   They also have "The Complete Guide to
Spitfire/GT6" by Graham Robson for #16.95 - has anyone got this?   Is it
worth getting as well as/instead of the "Guide to Originality"?

>The original Spitfire 4 came with a small tool kit in a vinyl pouch. It
>comprised "a spark plug spanner; a spark plug box spanner; a 1/2" AF x 7/16
>AF open ended 'Slim line' spanner; a 1-1/2" AF x 9/16" AF open ended 'Slim
>line' spanner and a feeler gauge. [...]
> The tool pouch was available in
>red, blue or black vinyl."

>The story on the 1500 is: "provided with the car from new, the tool kit and
>jack were stored in a canvas tool roll as for the MkIV. A wheel nut
>spanner, not supplied to the MkIV, was now added to the kit. The
>'combination tool' was still supplied, but its function as a hub cap
>remover was no longer required. Around 1978 the 'hardura' canvas tool roll
>was replaced with a black plastic tool bag, which was made long enough also
>to accomodate the jack handle".

The "tool kit" that came with my car comprises:

1 x small car jack in blue, almost rusted solid
1 x starting handle/jack handle (identical to that for an early Morris
Minor)
1 x wheelbrace/spark-plug spanner

>See that, Michael? They all came with standard feeler gauges in the tool
>kit! ;-)

OK, OK, I'll put a set of feelers in the boot with the rest of the
stuff!

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
to be published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: