Re: Earthquake in Seattle

To: "Lyta Byron" <lytabyron@hotmail.com>, bauguesh@abcs.com, Laura.G@141.com
Subject: Re: Earthquake in Seattle
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:40:38 +0000
At 06:26 PM 2/28/01 -0800, Lyta Byron wrote:
> Howard,
>  Phone lines were tied up in Portland all day too. Part of my job is to
>call businesses to do their payrolls and on the long distance calls we just
>kept getting "all circuits are busy".  Hope you have been able to get
>through by now and all are ok. Kristi

My company, PhotoWorks.com, is primarily a film processor with a very large
Internet presence for online imaging.  Our production facility was
shutdown.  We have too many hazardous chemicals for film processing and we
have lost all customer rolls that were in processing for negative
developing at the time of the quake.  That's about 10,000 customer rolls.
Not good.  But then during a quake, you duck and cover, you don't hit the
shutdown sequence for the production line.  Our phone center was offline-
well could still operate just fine, but it was decided that we should take
our systems offline to free up phone lines.  Our center takes 10,000 calls
a day and if we shut down, that frees up lines for emergency services.

I actually enjoyed the quake.  No real damage around significantly so it
was very educational.

-Vegaman Dan
 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |     ConiFur NorthWest 2000 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |