Re: can a gas tank float be salvaged?

To: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: Re: can a gas tank float be salvaged?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:13:44 -0700
Douglas Frank wrote:

> Anyway, does anyone have any BTDT on how to drain & seal these?
> I'd rather not spring the $75 Spitbits wants for a complete
> sending unit!

I haven't had to consider this specific problem, but years ago, had to
work out materials to make floats which would last in gasoline for a
research machine. I believe there are foams available which form closed
cells (a necessity) and are resistant to gasoline, so my general
recommendation would be to look for a gasoline-proof foam which could be
injected into the float. Since a great many carburetor floats are now
made of dense, closed cell plastic, there certainly must be something
available similar to that.

If I recall, there were some epoxies which could be obtained as
expandable foams, but one would have to be careful to find one which did
not break down in the presence of copper (this seems to a common
property of many epoxies), since the arm is likely brass, or
brass-plated.

Cheers, Doug.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`71 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.