Re: Replace ZS Carb with Weber DGV

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <BODB@chevron.com>
Subject: Re: Replace ZS Carb with Weber DGV
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:06:37 -0500
The water choke on a Holley/Weber is quite reliable and effective.  More so in
fact then their electric choke.  The electric choke turns off at a pre-set rate
based on the resistor wire, not the engine operating temperature.  It senses
nothing except the fact that the ignition is on.  The water choke works with
the engine, and releases the choke as the engine needs it.  A far superior way
to do it.

Even on the ZS, the water side of the enrichener circuit works well, it's the
rest of the components that cause the problems.

Watch out for your hood clearance.  There was a thread on this just a little
while back.  I believe the manifold you'll want will be dog legged downward,
but I'm not certain of that.

>>> "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com> 03/23 12:29 PM >>>

I am planning to replace the ZS carb on my 79 Spitfire with a Weber DGV.  I
pretty sure I shouldn't go with the water choke as that seems to be one of
the faults of the ZS on the 79.  The question I have is if I should go with
the electric or manual choke on a new Weber DGV?  Also, any insights or
suggestions into the ZS to Weber conversion?

On a related subject for my education, how does the electric choke works?
What does the electric choke sense in order to adjust the choke setting?

Thanks,

Bob Bollinger
79 Spit