Weber DGV vacuum

To: Spitfires Maillist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weber DGV vacuum
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:29:40 -0500
I'll be installing a Weber DGV onto my 76 Spitfire in the next few weeks and I
need some insight from those that have "ben there, dun that". I am aware that
the positive crankcase pressure is not relieved by connecting the hose from the
valve cover to the air filter connection. The result is oil pushing out through
the dip stick.

On the ZS, this isn't a problem because the hose from the valve cover is
connected to a high vacuum port on the carb which relieves the excess pressure.

It would be nice if the DGV had a similar port but that doesn't appear to be the
case. Is it possible to add a port by opening up an existing but blanked out
port, or adding a completely new one? I would suspect that if this were possible
the jets/needles would have to be changed and I am prepared for that
eventuality.

Failing the vacuum port, my last resort is to use a catch can (way down at the
bottom of the list) which is vented to the air filter. Some people have
fashioned a connection to a blanked off plate where the fuel pump goes and they
use an electric fuel pump. Since I use a mechanical pump, where is the best
place to vent the crankcase?

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario