Re: GM Alternator Conversion

Subject: Re: GM Alternator Conversion
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:19:02 +0100 (BST)
When my alternator went and I had to call the AA they, unfortunately, did
not have a spare alternator in the back of the van.  I got the quick
battery charge and drove the 2 miles home.  I picked up a s/h alternator
from the Spitfire Graveyard the next day for #10, although I don't trust
it too much as it's a little noisy.  I expect it to fail, although it
hasn't done so yet.  Hopefully before that time I will have converted to
either a Delco or GM alternator, which leads on to a number of questions
I have...:

Is a Delco alternator pretty reliable?  Is it a straight swap for the
lucas (without fiddling with fabricating brackets etc)?  Does it have a
higher output than the lucas?  and are they available in the uk?

cheers
John
http://www.spit1500.co.uk/