RE: GM Alternator Conversion

To: "'Bill Gunshannon'" <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Subject: RE: GM Alternator Conversion
From: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 04:54:11 +0900
Bill,

Do whatever floats your boat.  Here in NYC,  RS Straus does not have either
the Midget or a spitfire in the system (but it does have MGB).  AutoZone
does,  but has absolutely nothing for either of them.  Almost all parts are
listed as N/A. Even the oil filters. It was the same when we had Parts USA
here.

I've gotten to be pretty good friends with the AutoZone folks, mainly b/c
they get a kick out of my wandering around trying to adapt the things I see
to the applications I need.  Just a few weeks ago I had three guys (it was a
slow, rainy day) running around with me trying to find something that could
be adapted for use as a connection piece for the throttle cable/HS4
connection.

My alternator conversion cost about $40, I think.  And took me less than 15
minutes start to finish.  And the connections were simple and reversible.

Like I said.  Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.  I'm comfortable
knowing that if I ever break down because of an alternator (which DOES
happen),  a replacement is definitely no further away than the nearest parts
store, no matter what chain it does or doesn't belong to.

Mike
'78 Midget