Re: RE: GM Alternator Conversion

To: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>,
Subject: Re: RE: GM Alternator Conversion
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:01:11 -0600
> Cute story, but no connection with reality.  The Spitfire is listed under
> Triumph in the computer of Advance Auto Parts, Autozone and NAPA.  I am
> sure it is in the other places as well, but these are the places I usually
> end out going to here.  Why??  because they not only list the car they even
> have a lot of the parts in stock.  What isn't can be available in 24-48
> hours.  Trust me, classic mustang parts are harder to find than Triumph or
> MG parts.  Unless, of course, your a purist.  Stanpart parts are rare.

Well, part of it is very real-I had similar discussions with the guys at Pep
Boys (who have since come around) and Kragen-who still insist not to have even
an oil filter and that I shold drop a Ford engine in the thing.

Thankfully, Dave has turned me onto HUB Auto Supply-and they are great! In
fact, he greats a great amount of his parts from them and there's a British
auto shop in the little building in the back. Still, it is a bit of a job
getting a Lucas altenator.

As for the claims that the output of the lucas is too weak-I haven't found that
to be true-even on the rotten rebuilds that only lasted a few months. (Another
Brit friend of mine who has dealt with Spitfires says "maybe a bigger pulley or
you just got into a bad batch of re-builds".) Believe me, I check the output
every month-the Lucases haven't had any problem with out put-when they worked!

> I see no problem with using an american alternator, it's just that I
> see people getting bent out of shape over wire type hose clamps and
> then see others rewiring the car for an alternator when there is a
> real american made high ouptut version available, designed for our
> cars.

At this point, I don't see any problem with a Yank altenator either. And the
Fiesta one can be dressed up to look like the Lucas for those on the car show
circuit.

> Oh well, I think I will buy two of them, even though I doubt I will ever
> need the spare.

lol-for the first year I had Nigel, I carried an extra (charged) battery-"just
in case"-so that I could make it home if my altenator took a dump. On longer,
overnight trips, I carry a trickle charger.

Funny-the other night, I was chatting with a couple of brit friends who have
Rovers-one says he drove his 6k miles last year. The other drove his 5k mile.
THey look at my Spitfire and then me. "16,000 miles last year-and only 2
altenators!"

Since we're on the subject of electrical output, in this months "Automobile"
magazine, the design commentary for the Land Rover Freelander Kalahari concept
(and a really stunning piece of work it is-if I had to have an SUV...)is :"Can
anyone imagine Joe Lucas successfully keeping eight driving lamps lit for more
than three minutes? Ford has brought British cars a long way if it can manage
the task. Of course, it's just a concept." (lol)

Laura G.

Laura G.