Re: Saskia fails her MOT!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Saskia fails her MOT!
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:45:18 -0400
Hazards on Spitfires get easily fouled, so it's entirely possible they work
intermittently.  Repeated actuation of them helps.

Headlights can certainly be adjusted by you easily enough, but they cannot
easily be adjusted correctly by you.

Steering gator is easily replaced.  Unthread the outer ball joint, slip the old
gator off, slip the new one on, reinstall the ball joint.  If you remove and
reinstall theball joint carefully, you don't even have to realign the front end.

Lubricate & adjust the handbrake.

Adjust the passenger side wiper blade so it wipes across the center if that's
what MOT wants.  It'll sit high parked, but so what.

Get a clarification on what they mean by the seats being insecure.  But many a
Spitfires rear latch doesn't work, allowing the seat to be jerked up with ease.
  At least the rear seats passed (since you say they only complained about the
front seats).

A miss would jack the heck out of hydrocarbon emissions.  Get the engine
properly tuned.  Not only will it then pass MOT, but it will have more power
and get better mileage.

Talk to Spitfire club folks about MOT.  Since it's people performing the
inspection, I'm sure there are better and worse inspectors to go see with an
old LBC.  Ask for their advice and input.

>>> John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk> 04/11 9:07 AM >>>

I took Saskia for her first MOT ...
Any help you can give me to get Saskia through her next MOT would be very
much appreciated!

///