Re: Electical Problem

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <metaz76@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Electical Problem
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:35:57 -0400
I just went through this a few weeks ago on my truck, the actual problem itself
surprized me, because I wouldn't have expected it.  My truck has suffered from
intermittent rear taillights for months, and blowing fuses.  I could never find
what the darn problem was.  Then I started blowing fuses rapidly.  Did it in
the dark on me once, and I had to try using a paperclip to jumper the fuse.
When that glowed red and caught the fuse box on fire, I figured the problem was
getting a bit more serious, so I drove in the dark without lights that morning.
 In disgust I finally shoved a heavy jumper in there and stood back to watch.
Once the smoke started rolling, I knew where to look.

Surprise, but my U-Haul trailer harness had failed.  The diodes had apparently
shorted it its magical black box, allowing a heavy current drain.  Not so heavy
as a wire solidly grounded out, but heavy enough to screw around with my lights
and occassionally blow the fuse.  Not untill the damage got bad enough to start
a fire was I able to locate it.

Now I'm sure you don't have a trailer wiring harness on your Spitfire.  BUT,
you do have the capability for damaged wires, which would do the same thing.  I
would start looking at that end of the lighting circuit that has had problems
with poor illumination or bulb failures.  I think you're going to find a wire
that is lightly shorted to ground.  In your case, that's the passenger side
wires.  You may also have burned up some wires in the harness, and have them
shorting to each other.

>>> Phillip <metaz76@earthlink.net> 04/13 10:39 AM >>>

Ok, I found another problem.  I don't know much about the electrical stuff
in a car so any help would be great.  After getting the lights in the car
to work after cleaning up the fuse box I went for a ride.  When I got back
I went to flip the light switch off and it just pulled apart, it had
melted.  The switch is not an original switch, it only has two wires on the
back with one of the wires going from the switch and wrapped around two
other wires from the original switch.  Today I hooked the two wires
together and they started getting hot in just a few seconds.  I tend to
think that this might have something to do with all the lights except the
headlights since they worked off of the switch before I was able to get the
other lights working.  Right now the only lights that are not working are
the passenger tail light and the passenger side light up front.  Where
should I start looking for the possible problem?

///