Re: Electical Problem

To: <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Electical Problem
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:59:05 -0400
Oh gosh, if I managed to make it look like I was suggesting doing that, I
didn't mean to!  I really was just suggesting visual inspection without even
any electricity.

>>> Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> 04/13 11:48 AM >>>
A rather drastic method of troubleshooting, I'd say!

I would highly not recommend shorting around fuses.  They are there to protect
the car from fires in case of a short.  A much better method of
troubleshooting a short is to remove the fuse and start measuring the
resistance to ground in the various branches of the circuit.  On Spitfires,
there are few fuses so it may be necessary to unplug various wires from the
main wire routing in order to isolate the defect.  Also, in circuits that
employ lights, it would be necessary to temporarily remove the bulbs because
they are resistive paths to ground and will interfere with your readings.

///