Hostage!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hostage!
From: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:04:36 -0400
Hello everyone...

I hope everyone in the snowbelt is enjoying these first weeks of spring!
Personally, I am having an issue Spit-wise:  Mine is being held hostage!

This past fall, my father located a good spot for storage for his
rarely-driven MGB and my Fireball.  A local retired farmer had a driveshed
that he used to store vehicles at a reasonable cost.  The building seemed
sound, and the price was right (Our two cars fill so little space!) so we
went ahead and put the cars in.

Mr X (Not his real name) asked me when I would be wanting the car out... I
said that I usually get mine out around the first weeks of March, since it's
my primary transportation eight months of the year.  (My winterbeaters tend
to die after about 4 months) ... He said no problem, the cars parked in
front will be left in neutral, so we can roll them ahead and get the Spit
out.  He'll be in Florida for a while, but he comes beck in February.

So anyway, March rolls around, the temperature has been above freezing for
ten consecutive days, and I call Mr. X to get the car out.  No answer.  I
call every day for 2 weeks.  No answer.  My wife and I have the same idea on
the same day : He's a pretty old guy, maybe he passed away over the winter!
So we go up to this small town to see if the shed has any tire tracks around
it.  Nope, in fact there's still a snowdrift holding out in front of the
door!  BUT - there's a second phone number on the sign!

Mr X's son (Whom the number turned out to be for) says "Dad's still in
FLorida, but he's coming back next week.  I don't get over there too much so
I can't let your car out."  Now this town is small enough that anywhere he
could live would be walking distance to this building.  Grrrr....  He took
our number anyway, "In case I'm over there."

So he calls us the next day (We're at the end of March now) and says "One of
dad's buddies drowned yesterday, so he's going  to be down there until the
22nd of April."  I ask if he could maybe help his dad out and get the cars
taken care of and he says "It's not my business, I don't know why dad put my
name on the sign, you have to deal with him" and hangs up.  Grrrrr.....

So anyway, with any luck, Fireball will be released this Sunday... Fingers
crossed!

Luke

///