Re: Originality

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:03:06 +0100
In article <"004D33ADD8CA701E*/c=us/admd=  /prmd=Cat/o=NOTES/s=Gosling/g
=Richard/i=B/"@MHS>, Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
writes

>Mike,
>I envy your number plate light - I think those are much nicer than the
> 'frog-eyes' on the later cars.

So do I. :-)

>  What is the difference in the carbs - I
> thought all 1500s were 1.5" carbs - or are they both 1.5", but with detailed
> differences?

The latter.   Mine are part number FZX1122PR, and yours are FZX1327PR.
They are visually very different, but I couldn't tell you what the
technical differences are.   These are the last two in a range of no
less than four different 1.5" HS4 carbs fitted to 1500s...

>My car has the fixed fan, no doubt a PO modification when the viscous coupling
> failed, and he found out how much cheaper the fixed fans were!

<g>

>As for the interior stuff - well, the vinyl is probably original (it certainly
> looks all of 22 years old), but as for the carpet - who knows?

Mine is definitely a later retrofit (it is far too clean and unworn to
be original).

>  When I got the
> car it had the Moto-Lita wheel, but the leather was very badly battered, it
> had worn completely away where it is held, so I got a Mountney after-market
> one - I have no idea how some after-market wheels can justify their prices
> (3-4 times Mountney) when the Mountney is so nice?

I am *dying* to replace the undersized Mountney wheel on Carly.   It is
a real pain parking with such a tiny amount of leverage, and the damn
thing obscures parts of the gauges.

>  Conveniantly, it has an
> exactly the same size hole in the middle, so I can still use the original
> black plastic cap with the Leyland logo.

You masochist, you!   I'm very grateful that the only original
occurrence of the word "Leyland" on Carly was on the Air Filter
Housing...

>I am no stickler for originality.

Well, nor am I really, although all other things being equal, I'd prefer
original to aftermarket.   The stereo is definitely *not* an original
fitting in Carly, and I have no intention of ripping out a state-of-the-
art sound system and replacing it with a 1970s MW/LW radio.   Funnily
enough, the speakers, whilst not original, are, I believe, contemporary
- incredibly heavy Pioneer 20W.   When I replaced the back panel, I cut
speaker holes precisely where the original owner had cut his.

>  My theory is that there are enough people
> around who are that Original Spits will never become an endangered species, so
> there is nothing wrong with modifying mine to my preference.  My primary
> concern is to keep my car running reliably - if I had the time and money to
> make it look a bit nicer that would be concern no. 2!

I think our priorities are the same, although I am perhaps more
exercised by Concern No. 2.   Carly has taken me to and from work daily,
through some of the most miserable weather I have ever experienced in
England, for over two months.   The various mechanical bits and pieces
that need doing are gradually being done, and I am smug as hell to be
able to report that her current fuel consumption (based on rush-hour
commuting town-country-road-town and back again, top speed 85 mph if I
can get a clear road for a mile or two) is 32.63 miles to the Imperial
Gallon.   With one exception, she has always started on the button (and
no exceptions since the alternator belt was tightened), and she has
never let me down.   Reliability is important, but for me is not so much
of a *concern* as her appearance.

>Enjoy your holiday!

I intend to.   :-)

Will report back on the incidence of LBCs in Athens, Istanbul, Varna,
Odessa, Sevastopol and Yalta on my return...

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///