Re: The Easter Repair Marathon

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Easter Repair Marathon
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:13:45 +0100
In article <"03E2E3ADD6BA301E*/c=us/admd=  /prmd=Cat/o=NOTES/s=Gosling/g
=Richard/i=B/"@MHS>, Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
writes

>Mike,
>
>Blimey, you have been busy!

You're not kidding!

>  BTW, if you are paying anyone 35 quid per hour to
> work on Carly you are paying too much,

Kevin charges posh customers with posh cars GBP35 an hour (i.e. that is
his official rate).   I reckon he charges me somewhere between GBP15 and
GBP20...

> TRGB charge 25 per hour and they know
> Spitfires much better than your local garage.  Only problem is they tend to be
> booked up for a while in advance.

They also probably won't stay working on Carly until 11.00 at night
until the problem is sorted, if I need her first thing the following
morning.

>Moss list the map light, part no. UKC3946 for the complete assembly.  However,
> it is not present in the price list, a good indication that they neither have
> it nor are likely to any time soon - but at least you know the part number
> now!

Thanks for that - much obliged.

>Your best bet for much of these obsolete parts is probably Spitfire
> dismantlers.  The Spitfire Graveyard is by far the biggest that I am aware of,
> so they may be your best bet.  TRGB dismantle less cars, but are closer.
> Manvers Triumph in Elmswell (in Suffolk, just beyond Bury St. Edmunds) also do
> some dismantling.  Call around, I would suggest!  Let me know if you need
> contact details for any of these.

When I get back from the Black Sea, I'll drop you an e-mail, and we can
arrange to meet up, and go and scour TRGB's parts graveyard together.
I'm also told that there is a major Spitfire dismantler somewhere down
on the A5 near Leighton Buzzard (GB Cars?) - maybe the following weekend
you could come over to Bedford, and we could convoy to them?

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///