Re: Towing Recommendations

To: Philip Warburton <cplimey@home.com>
Subject: Re: Towing Recommendations
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:34:25 -0700
Philip,
The problems are manifold. (not intake or exhaust, though).  :)

First, the transmission gets its oiling from an oil slinger at the front and is
actuated only when power is applied by the engine.  So with the car
towed with the drive shaft in place the transmission is spinning but n ot
oiling.

Then you get to the problems associated with the rest of the drive train.
Sitting in a Spit driving down the road, you will hear any noises that
would cause you concern.  But towing it, you probably would not hear a U-Joint
banging or the howl of a differential just before it goes out.

If you aren't going to tow the car very far, it is probably ok to flat tow it
after removing the drive shaft.  But for a long distance tow, it is
highly recommended to trailer of flat-bed it.

Joe

Philip Warburton wrote:

> It seems to me somewhere I read that a Spit should NOT be towed by a
> conventional truck but a flat deck type, due to the undue wear and tear on
> the prop shaft.
>
> Is this true?
> Anyone direct me to web page with more info.
> Thanks again
>
> I have to go about 50K (30 miles)
>
> Philip

///