Re: Towing Recommendations

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Towing Recommendations
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:52:54 +0100
Hi Folks
Have any of you turned the box with a drill with the cover off? I have and
|I would suggest the oil system works as follows.
The teeth of all the gears in the laygear cluster are immersed in oil, they
lubricate the gear teeth of the mainshaft by direct contact, they also spin
oil off as they turn / mesh with their counterparts, this oil mist is
carried to the bushes on which the mainshaft gears are mounted by the
cunning scroll shaped grooves in the thrust washer gear faces and bushes.
The oil Flinger is not sufficiently shaped to cause very much rearwards
deflection, but rather as previously stated prevents the oil from exiting
through the front bearing. There is no flinger on the rear bearing as oil is
required to exit through that bearing (and other places) to lubricate the
mainshaft extension bearing (or supply the O/D), there is still quite enough
oil activity at this end as witnessed by the fact that seals are needed on
the gearshift linkages. The bit I never really got to grips with is the
principle for the laygear bearings. This works in one of two ways probably
the first but maybe the second!
1 Whilst stationary the oil flows into the hollow cluster through the ends
(past the bearings) and through the hole near the middle of the shaft. Once
the cluster is spinning the oil in the cluster is thrown out through the
hole (adding to the oil mist), the action of the oil being thrown out will
draw fresh oil in through the ends past the bearings, cycle is continuous.
2 Oil is forced in through the hole in the cluster on a dip basis and exits
through the bearings assisted by the centrifugal force at the outside faces
of the gear cluster ends.

Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon
1972 2.5PI Saloon
1974 Sprinted Dolomite 1850
1975 Toledo in restoration!

http://www.triumph-iw.co.uk
http://www.mickdolphin.co.uk Spares Supplier.

| I think it is actually a combination of effects.  The laygear turns by
action of the input shaft gear and slings oil up.  The oil slinger (or
| deflector as some call it) deflects it rearward so that it is hitting
further back.  Since the largest gear on the laygear cluster is at the front
of
| the gear box, most of the oil that is flung upwards is at the front.  So
the washer does indeed need to be there as you say to keep too much oil from
| going through the front bearing.  But there is no such washer in front of
the rear bearing because there is not much oil activity back at that end.

| Joe

///