Re: Towing Recommendations

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Towing Recommendations
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:28:57 -0700
I think it is actually a combination of effects.  The laygear turns by action
of the input shaft gear and slings oil up.  The oil slinger (or
deflector as some call it) deflects it rearward so that it is hitting further
back.  Since the largest gear on the laygear cluster is at the front of
the gear box, most of the oil that is flung upwards is at the front.  So the
washer does indeed need to be there as you say to keep too much oil from
going through the front bearing.  But there is no such washer in front of the
rear bearing because there is not much oil activity back at that end.

Joe

Mark J Bradakis wrote:

>      First, the transmission gets its oiling from an oil slinger at the front
>      and is actuated only when power is applied by the engine.
>
> I may be wrong, but I'd always assumed that the teeth of the layshaft gears
> spinning through the oil in the gearbox case would stir up a LOT more oil than
> a thin flat washer on edge to the oil.  I always assumed that the little flat
> washer just kept too much oil from getting splashed against the front bearing
> and out the front seal.
>
> mjb.

///