Re: Towing Recommendations

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Towing Recommendations
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:35:54 -0400
Hi Joe,

I just re-built my transmission and don't understand what you mean by an oil
slinger.

> First, the transmission gets its oiling from an oil slinger at the front and
>is actuated only when power is applied by the engine.  So with the car
> towed with the drive shaft in place the transmission is spinning but n ot
>oiling.

My understanding of the tranny is that the when the car towed in neutral, the
mainshaft is turning (turned by the prop shaft) but the gears on the mainshaft
may not be low enough within the casing to touch the oil (the gearcase is only
partially filled). Therefore the parts above the oil (mainshaft and input shaft)
will not be lubricated which will lead to damage if the process prevails for
some period of time (unknown but probably not long).

The normal operation is for the engine turning the input shaft (when the clutch
connects the flywheel to the input shaft. The input shaft is not directly
connected to the mainshaft, but IS directly connected to the layshaft. The
layshaft is near the bottom of the gear case, bathed in oil. When the input
shaft turns, the layshaft turns, which spews oil around the whole gear case. If
the input shaft is not turning (as in being towed in neutral), then there is no
lubrication.

I am unsure how the oil passages within the shafts are fed. Is this where you
mean there is an oil slinger?

...still learning

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire