Re: Seatbelts & Bumpers

To: Ben Miller <no1-bronco-fan@home.com>
Subject: Re: Seatbelts & Bumpers
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:58:21 -0400
If your seat belts are tired, they need to be replaced.  Yes, you can remove the
cover of the reel, and add tension (as well as lubricating things), but the
fabric itself has greatly weakened.  So be smart, and replace the belts with new
ones.

The rear bumper has ugly metal under the rubber.  It's a huge c-channel of
aluminum, filled with urethane pads.  There's nothing attractive about it, and
it's *heavy*.  A rear blade type is a direct bolt on.

The front is a little more difficult.  There's a big steel bracket in the center
with a big urethane blob about a foot wide in it.  Again, heavy and ugly.  The
blade type requires a little grinding to the hinge bracket box to allow the
blade
to set in behind the big urethane pads.  You can paint the pads black, or unbolt
them and replace them with something else (earlier over-riders or a piece of
wood).  You will still have to deal with the spoiler and grill issue (many ways
to go).

I've never gotten it to look good, but I've played with alternative bumpers both
on paper and on the car.  Wood, pipe, etc.  It sounds good in theory, but I
can't
make it look good.