Re: Seatbelts & Bumpers

To: Laura Gharazeddine <Laura.G@141.com>,
Subject: Re: Seatbelts & Bumpers
From: Dean Rayner <dean_rayner@mac.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2001 09:45:54 +0100
On Thursday, August 30, 2001 7:55 pm, Laura Gharazeddine <Laura.G@141.com>
wrote:

>>I was holidaying in the states 2 weeks ago and got rear ended
>3
>
>times in one week!  But I was driving a hired Ford Windstar, so
>
>probably deserved it!!!!
>>
>>-
>>Dean Rayner.
>
>I'm sorry. I hope everyone was ok?

Yes....they were only small shunts, only one caused any visible damage.

>I'd be curious to know the reason each had as to why they couldn't
>be bothered to stop when you did. For my own amusement.

1, Stopped at an intersection. Red light. There were 4 Police officers jumping
on a man in the gas station on the corner of the intersection. The woman
driving the car behind me was more interested in the unfolding drama in the gas
station than stopping distances.  She gave the excuse that her car would not
stop!!!!!!  (I was not convinced!!) I recommended that she park the car, and
get a mechanic to check the brakes before proceeding.  She declined my
suggestions!!!

2, Stopped at an intersection. Red light. (Does this sound familiar) I heard
the scream of tires.......whack!! I jumped out to talk to the driver, who then
declared that I reversed into her!!!!!!!  When I drew her attention to the skid
marks on the road leading to her tires, she did admit that it MAY have been her
fault!!!! (Unbelievable)

3, Stationary in a parking lot. I reversed into a vacant space and there was a
space behind me. You guessed it! Some one reversed into the vacant spot behind
me and straight into my van!! His reason....Shit happens!!  But there was no
damage and he was twice the size of me.

I am now convinced that the extra collision protection on US spec Spits/GT6's
was essential to prevent them getting battered to pieces.  Is this typical of
US drivers, or was I just unlucky??

Dean.