RE: parts cars - new thread

To: "'Will Slater'" <slaterw@bluffton.edu>
Subject: RE: parts cars - new thread
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 08:12:46 +0100
Not seen any replies to this yet, so here goes:

More to the point, it will reduce the strain on the driver.

> I have heard that in its
> original design
> the Spit engine is not well balanced and works to tear itself
> apart a high
> speeds.

Well they're pretty robust really. 1500 versions have a reputation for
throwing rods through the block, but this is usually when fitted to the MG
Midget which is considerably worse from a cooling perspective. They give
plenty of warning signs so there should be no excuse for letting one go this
far before rebuilding. What you have heard sounds like mythology from
someone who just doesn't like Spitfires.

> I have also heard that there have been a lot of
> problems with the
> OD transmissions on Spits.

They're generally very reliable, though some of the J-type overdrives fitted
to mid 1970s Spitfires suffered from problems with build quality. I don't
know the specifics, but there are notes on the perceived problems in the
John Kipping/Canley Classics catalogue.

> So, I would appreciate your
> advice as to how to
> evaluate this transmission and other parts and whether the
> transmission will
> link up directly with a '73 engine?

The gearbox design changed around 1974/5 with the later cars having a
different clutch. You may need to use the flywheel from the same car as the
gearbox has come, but this is outside my experience really.

> I don't have much
> mechanical experience
> but am eager to learn as I work on my Spit. My goal is to have a good
> looking reliable little sports car.  I am not looking to
> restore it so much
> as to make inexpensive renovations that will help the car to
> give years of
> good reliable service.

You won't find a better car to learn on. Good luck with what you're doing -
enjoy your Spitfire,
        Chers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupi Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
|    A \____||____/ A    |  1960 Herald 948 Saloon 100% Original
| =  H              H  = |  1961 Herald 'S'
=====U==============U=====  1961 Herald 1200 Coupi
\________________________/  1968 2000 Mk1 Saloon (the Wife's car!)

Join The Herald Mailing List at: