Re: UK Number Plates

To: "Mitchell, Doug \(D.B.\)" <dmitchel@ford.com>,
Subject: Re: UK Number Plates
From: "Aidan Corcoran" <spitfire@acquirer.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:38:57 +0100
> The black on red plates that I was refering to are both front and
> rear, while I remember the Irish plates having that on the rear
> only.

I hate to disagree, but black on red (rear only) has not been legal in
Ireland since 1987, and in fact since 1992, there have been strict rules
regarding the size, colour and layout of registration plates.

http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/carplate.pdf

In Ireland car that is older than 30 years can be classed as Vintage, and
can have a vintage registration plate with a number starting ZV. These
plates are exempt from the standard rules. Generally these are silver on
black.

In the UK, the following are the rules...

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_newrules.htm

The Blue part of the registration plate is a standard European system to
identify the country of origin of the car. There are the 12 stars of
European Union Logo with a country code in the middle (IRL for Ireland, F
for France, GB for Great Britain etc...). Some other European countries,
Turkey for example have a similar blue strip, just without the EU logo.

There are some boring documents on http://europa.eu.int/index_en.htm if you
are interested.

Regards,

Aidan