Re: thrashing my spitfire - and other observations.

To: James Carruthers <jcarruthers@freenet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: thrashing my spitfire - and other observations.
From: Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@fairchildsemi.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:38:13 -0400
 Well James, I certainly wouldn't say you were thrashing your Spit, just
finally driving it as it was meant to be!
However!  Your normal driving style has a few advantages;
1.)Fuel economy is better shifting at 2500 rpm as opposed to 5000 rpm
2.)If it is a 1500, it will last longer shifting and driving slowly
3.)By virtue of #2, when you really do want to drive aggressively you
will appreciate it more.

On the other hand (not to burst the bubble), even spirited driving in a
Spit will not impress most drivers of modern cars, most of which will
easily out accelerate a Spit, and many of which will handle the twisties
and turnies much better as well.

Case in point, my daily driver, 1984 Dodge Charger 0-60 is 8.6 seconds,
and I can take most freeway entrance ramp corners at over 45MPH without
sweating it (unless I see gravel of course).

So, just enjoy it for what it is (1933 Tractor engine - enhanced) and
occasionally rev the heck out of it (keep the carbon levels down?) and
just ssmmmmiilllle      :)

Howard in Maine