Re: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit - Success

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit - Success
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:58:58 +0100
In article <3BC44AB6.B11CB3AA@umassp.edu>, Mike Chmura
<m.chmura@umassp.edu> writes
>Hello all,
>
>Last night I played with the hardtop again incorporating several of the
>suggestions that came through list members. The process I used was first
>getting the back of the top placed correctly and just starting the bolts
>a turn or two to initially secure them in their holes.  Then proceeded
>to the windshield.   The passenger side actually lined up pretty good.
>The driver side needed more coaxing.

This is exactly the case with my Spit.   If this truly is a major
problem, then we've both got the same one!

>  I gently tugged the windscreen
>forward while my wife tapped the top to pilot the bolt into place.
>However there was no way that I could use those aluminum spacers.  What
>I've done is to cut about a 2" length of threaded rod and screw one end
>into the nut that's secured in the hardtop so that the other end can be
>piloted through the hole in the windshield frame rather than screw a
>bolt from inside the cockpit up into the top.

Did the lip of the hard-top engage correctly inside the windscreen
surround?   If so, you should have been able to get those
bolts/spacers/washers to do up as Triumph intended.   The problem I have
is that when you're having to "encourage" the hardtop to locate
correctly, the large washer that is balanced on top of the spacer falls
off, and you have to keep starting again...

>I would have liked to use those spacers but just that little extra width
>inhibited the top from lining up with the holes.  Is there any serious
>side effect from not using those spacers?

I think they are only there to stop you doing the bolts up so far that
they come through the top of the hard-top.

>I finally began tightening all six contact points little by little and
>the top seems to fit very well at this point.

Congratulations.   Did you remember to have a beer once you'd finished?
Very important, that.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"