Re: Timing on 76 Spitfire 1500 2Deg ATDC or 10Deg BTDC

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing on 76 Spitfire 1500 2Deg ATDC or 10Deg BTDC
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:20:45 -0400
>From: "bobby 731" <bobby731@hotmail.com>
>Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:29:22 -0700
>
>I have a question about the timing on my 1976 spitfire.  The book says that
>the timing should be 10Deg before top dead center and the sticker under the
>hood says it should be 2Deg after top dead center.  Which of these are
>correct for timing my car?

I'm assuming that this is a federal model spit?   For 1976 only,
a higher compression ratio was specified.  The timing was set
later to prevent detonation, run-on etc, e.g. the 2deg ATDC is correct.

What manual are you using?   I'm pretty sure the Hayes manual correctly
identifies an exception to the 10deg BTDC for the 76 motor.

>Also should the vacuum line remain on the
>distributor or should it be disconnected and plugged while setting the
>timing.

Sorry, not sure.  I usually leave it on, but I don't know if
that's right.

>Thanks in advance for your Help.  Bobby.

Greg Rowe