Re: U-Joints????

To: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U-Joints????
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:31:02 -0400
Another failure mode is that the holes in the yokes can get
stretched over time, allowing the cups to be loose.  Then they
can creep and rock around sideways.  If you try replacing the
U-joints and the cups are not a tight fit in their holes, then you have
this problem.  The only sure cure is replacing the failed
yoke.  If you are lucky, it will be the inner one.  Otherwise
you may have to replace the entire axle shaft.

Possibly some sort of Loctite or epoxy compound could be
used to lock the cups in place, but I have no idea how
long it would last...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit