RE: U-Joints????

To: "'Phillip'" <metaz76@earthlink.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: U-Joints????
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:13:48 +0100
Phillip,

It is common to have a little free play between the propshaft (the one
coming from the gearbox) and the wheels, but this should all be free play in
the differential itself.  There shouldn't be any in the UJs at all.  Shine a
torch on each UJ in turn as you twist the propshaft, if the UJs are well
gone the movement will be visible.

There are other things that can cause ticking at the back end, so your
problem isn't necessarily UJs (though it might be).  In my experience of UJ
failure I have never had continuous clicking while driving, just one loud
clunk as I start to accelerate, or lift off and use engine braking, as the
slack is taken up.

Off the top of my head, I'm afraid I can't remember what the other causes of
clicking might be.  I know Jeff McNeal had a rear-end clicking once, but I
can't remember what the solution was in the end.  Jeff?

Hope this helps,

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email