RE: U-Joints????

To: "'Phillip'" <metaz76@earthlink.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: U-Joints????
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:35:46 +0100

Hi Phillip,
        It's quite normal to hear a clicking from the UJ long before it can
be felt by manually moving the joint - if you can actually feel any movement
or roughness by hand then your joints are close to self destruction.
Spitfire driveshaft UJs must always be set tight, any slack should be taken
up with oversize (thickness) circlips. As others have said, ovality in the
yokes must be attended to by replacement.
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupi Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
|    A \____||____/ A    |  1960 Herald 948 Saloon 100% Original
| =  H              H  = |  1961 Herald 'S'
=====U==============U=====  1961 Herald 1200 Coupi
\________________________/  1968 2000 Mk1 Saloon (the Wife's car!)

Join The Herald Mailing List at: