Re: Anybody mucked about with one of these? (Jag IRS)

To: reed mideke <rfm@redshift.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anybody mucked about with one of these? (Jag IRS)
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:18:47 -0800 (PST)
Have to agree with Reed here.

I obtained a Jag 'pumpkin' (diff unit) to see about
fitting it into my Spitfire.

I concluded that it was too large to be worthwhile, as
major frame and body changes would be needed.

You coulp probably clip off the rear section of the
Spitfire frame, and graft in the whole Jag subframe
somehow. Probably also need some substantial
sheetmetal changes in the rear, as the Spit is
tailored pretty closely to the rear mechanicals.

Be aware that, despite use of alloy here and there,
that the Jag unit is a pretty weighty chunk.

A couple of reasonable diff candidates are the
R160/180/200 diffs used on Datsun/Nissan Z cars
(pumpkin is also used by Subaru), and the IRS unit
fitted to US Mercur (maybe euro as well).

Good luck

Carter Shore

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=597063018

http://personals.yahoo.com