RE: Steering Wheel Alignment Question

To: "'Mike Chmura'" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>, <CraigS@iewc.com>,
Subject: RE: Steering Wheel Alignment Question
From: <rtgetzinger@scif.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:45:20 PST
I would suggest you make sure that the steering lock is working properly at
the same time. If you adjust the column where it attaches at the steering box
you may get the lock to have to be engaged only when wheels are turned. If
the suspension is ok and it doesn't need an alignment then wheels straight
ahead as possible (I'd drive in a straight line and come to a stop then
disassemble where she lay), remove the horn button, nut, and pull the
steering wheel off the splines. Adjust the wheel to the desired levelness,
insert, and reversal of removal. Unless you are way out of alignment,
aligning shouldn't too radically affect the steering wheel, but as good
measure have the alignment done first.
Rob