Re: Steering Wheel Alignment Question

To: Mike Chmura <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Alignment Question
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:53:34 -0500
Actually, you want the car aligned *with the rack centered* first.  Then check
and see where the steering wheel is.  Many times cheap monkeys pretending to be
mechanics will do a front end alignment by just adjusting one tie rod end
(especially if one was being replaced), leaving the steering rack and steering
wheel off center when the car is going straight.  On a Spitfire steering rack,
this just means that the car turns tighter in one direction as opposed to the
other, and that the way the turn signals self cancel is different turning right
as opposed to turning left.  I don't believe you will do any harm as the rack
has
internal stops (I think) that prevent you from steering the guts out of it at
whichever extreme motion.