Re: RANT- Problems with restoring (long)

To: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: RANT- Problems with restoring (long)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 18:07:51 -0400
At 10:45 AM 9/7/02 -0700, Terry Thompson wrote:

>Maybe, since you and your wife are congenial enough to
>respect a designed "budget", that you could try to do
>the "rainy day" fund. Let's say you save up a few
>dollars you set aside for gas by hitching a ride with
>a friend into work. Take the $1 you saved on gas and
>stuff it in the jar.
>With me, it used to be TOLLS and LUNCH. I would
>estimate $5 for lunch every day. And $2 for tolls. But
>tolls are only $1.75 and if I grabbed a hot-dog, it
>was another $1.50 in my pocket! I know....

I hole hardely agree with Terry!  I'm one of the cheapest Son's of a
Bi%$^( I know.  I don't spend any change except a penny.  At the end
of the day, all my change goes into a set of coin holders that holds a
roll each of pennys, nickels, dimes, and quarters.  I end up with
about $100 every 3 months this way.  When I do the laundry (instead of
my wife doing it) and I find any money in the pockets of any of the
clothes, IT'S MINE!  That goes into a box with my rolled coins.

Unfortunately, I don't have a real clothes budget.  But when I wear out
a "good" pair of pants (jeans, slacks, shorts, etc) - the pockets get
frayed, or I get a hole in them, they become shop pants.  Especially
the jeans.  Then when I blow out the knees in them, I cut them off and
have shop shorts for the hot weather.  Same for T shirts and shirts.
I even recycle my paper towels.  After I use them, I through them into a
bucket in the shop.  Then when I need to clean out a greasy, oily pan
I use my used paper towels vis new ones.

Andre Rousseau, you didn't say weither you had a compressor or not.  If
not, start saving your money and buy one - a good one - nothing less than
a 5hp (220V) 30 gal. accumulator.  Then you can practice you painting on
all your parts and body.  A paint job is labor intensive and a good one
on a car that is being totally restored will cost in the neighbor hood of
$5,000 US.  You can do it yourself, if you learn to do the body work for
about $1,000, excluding the compressor and paint gun.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I've been working on an article on media
plasting and I cover purchasing a compressor.  If anyone is interested in
a PDF (adobie acrobat reader required) version, let me know and I'll email
you a copy of the article.

I buy my tools against a job.  It took me 2 years to save $1,000 for my
MIG welder, but it would have cost me at least that much to have the
welding done and now I have a welder!

Good luck with you project, and don't let it get you down.  Take your time,
and as you pointed out, take everything apart and rehad it.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org