Re: Gauges and problems

To: Philip Warburton <cplimey@shaw.ca>,
Subject: Re: Gauges and problems
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 05:32:55 -0700
>1) My temp gauge takes a lot to move it. It has to be a hot day and the car
>not moving to see any movement.
>Do you think it is the thermostat?
>The sender appears to be working as I get a light glowing off and on on the
>continuity tester.
>Also, what are the disadvantages of the engine running colder than normal?

Disconnect the wire from the sending unit and ground it to the engine
block.  The temp guage should do a full needle movement at that point as
the sender is just a variable resistor of current coming from the
ground/negative side of the battery through the engine block.  If the guage
does a full swing, then the guage is good (typically) and the sender is bad
(probable).

>2) I am replacing my oil pressure unit that goes into the engine block.
>Firstly because Nick Moseley's experience has been weighing on my mind and
>also, the green light on the instrument panel does not light.
>Yes, there is lots of oil!
>The bulb is good, but I cannot get a circuit to light up the continuity
>tester with all the wires connecting to the oil pressure unit.

Same test, except the light should turn on if the wire is grounded.  This
is a simple on/off pressure switch that has a ball check valve pushing
against a spring inside of it.  With oil pressure pushing against the ball,
no contact is made internally and the light stays off.  If the pressure
drops, the spring will push the ball into the contacts and the light will
go on.

-Vegaman Dan