New lister, bought Spitfire, now questions...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: New lister, bought Spitfire, now questions...
From: Robert.Haigney@anixter.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:14:35 -0800
I bought it, Saturday afternoon, went and looked at the 78 Spitfire, thanks
everyone for  responding on what to look for, it was a big help.
Checked the car over, no rust...!!!!  well actually there are two very,
very light patches of surface rust on one of the fenders, some cracked
paint, but that was it, thank California weather for that one.   Hard top
is in great condition, that will be great help for the Nevada winters.  Car
also has Overdrive, that works....woooo hoooo, shifts smoothly, the guy I
bought it from also delivered it, this has to be the best $400 I've ever
spent.

Problems I did find were as follows....

Car runs rich, it's not using the original fuel pump it has an electronic
one installed, could this be the problem, could it be pushing too much fuel
to the carb, or should I look at the carb first (adjustment, etc.)...???
Car needs three or four attempts before starting.

One rear shock is bad, so I'm going to replace both rear shocks, no big
problem there.

The water pump has a small hole, It looks like a bleeder hole, after about
10 - 15 mins of running the car, some radiator fluid starts to leak from
this hole, I take it this isn't normal, where do I start to trouble shoot
this....??

Speedo and rev counter both don't work, I take it they run on the same
cable, I haven't looked it up in the book yet, but that doesn't seem to be
too much of a problem.

Signal arm needs to be replaced, it's missing the end.

And that's about it, a couple of cosmetic parts and I'm looking good and
driving strong, then I have the hassle of registering it in a new
state....hmmm

Any advice, tips help etc. is greatly appreciated.

Robert.