Re: New lister, bought Spitfire, now questions...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New lister, bought Spitfire, now questions...
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:56:17 +0000
On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, at around 12:14:35 local time,
Robert.Haigney@anixter.com wrote:
>I bought it, Saturday afternoon, went and looked at the 78 Spitfire, thanks
>everyone for  responding on what to look for, it was a big help.
>Checked the car over, no rust...!!!!  well actually there are two very,
>very light patches of surface rust on one of the fenders, some cracked
>paint, but that was it, thank California weather for that one.   Hard top
>is in great condition, that will be great help for the Nevada winters.  Car
>also has Overdrive, that works....woooo hoooo, shifts smoothly, the guy I
>bought it from also delivered it, this has to be the best $400 I've ever
>spent.

FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS?!   J*s*s Chr*st Alm*ghty - the *bonnet* is worth
more than that!

>Problems I did find were as follows....
>
>Car runs rich, it's not using the original fuel pump it has an electronic
>one installed, could this be the problem, could it be pushing too much fuel
>to the carb,

Very possibly.

> or should I look at the carb first (adjustment, etc.)...???

"90% of carburettor problems are electrical".   Make that 99% when
you've an electronic fuel pump.

>Car needs three or four attempts before starting.
>
>One rear shock is bad, so I'm going to replace both rear shocks, no big
>problem there.

No big deal.

>The water pump has a small hole, It looks like a bleeder hole, after about
>10 - 15 mins of running the car, some radiator fluid starts to leak from
>this hole, I take it this isn't normal, where do I start to trouble shoot
>this....??

Dunno - never come across this before.

>Speedo and rev counter both don't work, I take it they run on the same
>cable,

Sadly, no. :-(

> I haven't looked it up in the book yet, but that doesn't seem to be
>too much of a problem.

Chances are that the speedo cable has just come disconnected at the back
of the gauge.   Next most likely is a snapped cable.   My rev counter
has never failed (about the only thing on the car that hasn't...), so
I've no experience here, and no suggestions to offer.   Sorry.

>Signal arm needs to be replaced, it's missing the end.

Ahhhh.   Everyone say "Ahhhh".... <g>

>And that's about it, a couple of cosmetic parts and I'm looking good and
>driving strong, then I have the hassle of registering it in a new
>state....hmmm
>
>Any advice, tips help etc. is greatly appreciated.

No specific advice or tips at present - just EXTREME envy!

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671