Spark plug question

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spark plug question
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:31:12 -0400
I took a moderate length trip in the spit yesterday, about 100 miles round
trip.
On the way home, the engine suddenly starting missing which I traced to a
bad
spark plug.  The gap had completely disappeared with the electrodes making
contact.  This is a Bosch platinum spark plug that was last gapped at .030
at least
6 months ago and has given me no prior problems.  There did not appear to be
any excessive wear on the plug.

What would suddenly cause the gap to totally disappear?

Thanks!

Greg Rowe