Re: Spark plug question

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spark plug question
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:10:03 -0400
I would suspect that Fred wasn't inherently meaning the piston itself
struck the plug, but that the piston is the moving part that would cause
the strike.

Yes, it's quite possible for things like a broken bolt to go down the
intake, get sucked into a cylinder, bang around, and then get thrown out
the exhaust.  Tends to rattle like mad while its happening, sounding
like you've got a bad wrist pin or horrible valve clatter.

The bad side of this is that a broken bolt tends to beat the heck out
of the head, the piston, cylinder walls, valves and valve seats.  If you
do a compression test on this engine, I would not be surprised if you
find this cylinder is low on compression now.

>>> "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com> 06/03/03 01:39PM >>>
>From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
>
>If you mean the outer electrode had gotten smashed down onto the
center
>electrode, something hit it in the cylinder.

Thanks to Fred and Nolan for their replies.  It WAS the outer
electrode
that was bent down and the consensus is that something hit it.  Fred
suggests that the piston made contact, but would that suddenly happen
after thousands of miles and tens of millions of engines revolutions?

The other thing (that I didn t previously mention) was that at the
same
time, I noticed that one of the non-stock bolts holding on my air
cleaner
housing had sheered.  Does it seem possible that a small piece of the
bolt
worked it s way in the combustion chamber, bounced around long
enough
to bend the spark plug electrode and then exited?  (at least, I sure
hope
it exited).

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.