Re: Spark plug question

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spark plug question
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:39:54 -0400
>From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
>
>If you mean the outer electrode had gotten smashed down onto the center
>electrode, something hit it in the cylinder.

Thanks to Fred and Nolan for their replies.  It WAS the outer electrode
that was bent down and the consensus is that something hit it.  Fred
suggests that the piston made contact, but would that suddenly happen
after thousands of miles and tens of millions of engines revolutions?

The other thing (that I didnt previously mention) was that at the same
time, I noticed that one of the non-stock bolts holding on my air cleaner
housing had sheered.  Does it seem possible that a small piece of the bolt
worked its way in the combustion chamber, bounced around long enough
to bend the spark plug electrode and then exited?  (at least, I sure hope
it exited).

Greg Rowe