Re: Spark plug question

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spark plug question
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:12:37 -0400
What do you mean by "the gap had completely disappeared"?

If you mean the outer electrode had gotten smashed down onto the center
electrode, something hit it in the cylinder.

If you mean the inner electrode seems to have slipped down, that I've
seen with the Bosch platinums, several times.  I've also seen them burn
their center electrode out in short order.

IMO, the Bosch platinum is not all its cracked up to be.  When I
replace them at about 20-30k miles, there is almost invariably a
performance increase.  This applies no matter how good the plugs may
look.

Don't forget, platinum plugs cause spark over more easily then standard
plugs.  As such, they tend to fire weakly, with less of a zap.  This can
result in poorer ignition of the fuel mixture in the cylinder.  You can
take advantage of this easier spark over by increasing gap.  This causes
a higher voltage and a better zap, as well as increasing spark
exposure.

>>> "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com> 06/03/03 10:31AM >>>
The gap had completely disappeared with the electrodes making
contact.  This is a Bosch platinum spark plug that was last gapped at
.030
at least 6 months ago and has given me no prior problems.

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.