after a day of preparation...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: after a day of preparation...
From: "Emiel Rorije" <emiel.rorije@terra.es>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 22:58:30 +0200
Today was a nice spitfire-preparation day, this weekend we will be cruising
up the Costa Brava and along the French south coast. While doing my check of
the rocker valve clearances I was thinking about the necessity of this
procedure. I have always reasoned that due to wear the clearances can only
become bigger, thereby producing a decrease in performance of the motor, and
ultimately rattling of the rocker gear, but it wouldn't do any harm to the
valves or the head.
However if due to I don't know what reasons the clearance can also change in
the direction of getting smaller that would cause trouble with overheating
outlet valves etc. And make the rocker clearance check up all the more
important.

Maybe anyone can reassure me that my line of thinking that the rocker valve
clearances can only get bigger is right? has anybody ever found a clearance
that had to be INcreased? (I haven't).

And on another level, while I had the rocker cover off, I thought I would
give it a good cleaning. First the outside only, but then I thought what the
heck lets clean the inside as well. There was a (at least 10 but probably 25
year old) thick build-up of grease/oil which smelled horribly intensely of
used motor oil. After removing it I thought I should have done so much
earlier, actually every time I get the cover off, because probably this
thick black sludge is contaminating your engine oil in no time.

Anyone ever cleaned the inside of his rocker cover? any thoughts about it
(useful or useless?).

OK, I will start packing for the French Riviera now,

Emiel.
Spitfire 1500 TC
Barcelona
Spain.