2500 engine in a Spitfire?

To: "'Spitfires@autox.team.net'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2500 engine in a Spitfire?
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:56:11 +0100
I never had any great plans to modify Daffy, but a friend (well, my wife's
friend's husband) mentioned to me yesterday that he had a 2500 saloon
sitting on his farm which he is going to scrap - the body is shot to pieces
but he says the engine looks good. Of course, even the most destroyed engine
could look good on the outside, but...

Is the engine in the 2500 saloon basically similar to the GT6 6-banger? If
so, will it slot into a 1500 Spitfire with miniumum effort?

What about the gearbox? Will it fit up to the existing 'box in my Spit
(standard single-rail with O/D), which was re-con a couple of years ago? Or
do I use the 'box from the 2500, in which case do I need a different
gearstick etc?

Engine and gearbox mounts - does it bolt straight down to the same mounts?

What else would I need to complete the job? I assume:

GT6 tacho (is it electronic or mechanical?)

MkIII Bonnet - are these available in fibreglass (in the UK)?  I can't
really afford a new steel one, and s/h ones are hard to come by,
particularly in Scotland

Front springs, to cope with the heavier engine

GT6 exhaust manifold, and presumably complete exhaust system (and I thought
my stainless exhaust would last me forever...). Or is the 2500 manifold the
same, in which case I'd just need the system from downstream of the
manifold?

I guess a brake upgrade to GT6-spec would be good, although that would be
gutting as I only just finished spending proper money on some new Spit front
calipers.
Anything else I would need? I'm happy keeping the existing swing-spring rear
suspension, if Triumph reckoned it was good enough for the later GT6s then
it's good enough for me. I don't have a bunch of money to spend on this, and
the car is pretty shabby-looking (but mechanically sound), so I'm certainly
not aiming to do a perfect job.

Thanks for any advice (inclding, if appropriate, give up now you're wasting
your time!)

Richard & Daffy

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.