Re: 2500 engine in a Spitfire?

To: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>,
Subject: Re: 2500 engine in a Spitfire?
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:48:01 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Gosling, Richard B <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>

> Is the engine in the 2500 saloon basically similar to the GT6 6-banger?

Hi Richard,
    The extra 500cc was obtained by increasing the throw of the crank. In most
other respects the 2500 is similar to the Mk2 2 litre engine - there is a
substantial weight penalty for the increased throw on the 2500.

> If so, will it slot into a 1500 Spitfire with miniumum effort?

You will need most of the GT6 or Vitesse runningh gear to do the job properly
(and safely).

> What about the gearbox? Will it fit up to the existing 'box in my Spit
> (standard single-rail with O/D), which was re-con a couple of years ago? Or
> do I use the 'box from the 2500, in which case do I need a different
> gearstick etc?

Neither. Some people have used the 2500 type box, but the gearbox output flange
will sit higher than on a Spitfire or GT6, so you will have an upward offset in
the driveline. This means that the propshaft no longer has the optimum straght
run front to back - possibly not a problem but a factor that ought to be
considered in getting everything as vibration free as possible.
The best solution is to use the Vitesse/GT6 gearbox, though I suspect you ought
to uprate the overdrive to a J-type as the D-type is at it's limits with a 2
litre engine.

> Engine and gearbox mounts - does it bolt straight down to the same mounts?

Soe of the big Saloon engines did not havbe the Vitesse/GT6 mounting bosses
drilled so you would need to do that. The mountings themselves are not the same
as the 4 cylinder, but they are readily available for the VitesseGT6 - are you
beginning to spot a pattern here?......

> What else would I need to complete the job? I assume:

You really are best off starting witha scrap Vitesse or GT6 as there are so
many minor (and major) components which are essential for a project like this.
The front and rear brakes are different (as is most of the front suspension),
you need the correct radiator - to do this without a donor would need a
substantial budget just to obtain the raw components.
If you want specifics about this kind of conversion then drop me a line
off-list and I'll put you in touch with a couple of friends who drive 2 litre
and 2.5 litre GT6 Convertibles,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--